Set Your TV on December 23, 2018 For Sunday Morning Weekend Today in Central NY on NBC 3
12/19/2018 12:00 PM
ARE YOU A WHITE KNUCKLE INVESTOR?
- Bear Market/Correction how do you know the difference?
- Bear markets occur when the market is down 20% or more from its high; corrections occur when the market is down 10% or more.
- Many stocks are currently in bear market territory. However, some stocks, such as utilities, are holding up better than others in part because of the dividend.
ARE YOU A WHITE KNUCKLE TRAVELER?
- An analogy to the white knuckle investor can be seen by individuals who are terrified of flying.
- I am! I do fly a lot but I am always anxious.
- As soon as the plane begins to take off, are you holding tight? I am. I can’t wait until the bells go off letting me know we have reached 10,000 feet.
- How about the turbulence? The flight attendants have to be seated and the plane is bouncing at 36,000 feet. WHITE KNUCKLE!
- The experience is nerve wracking, but the pilot lands you safely.
- The mistake some investors make is that they exit the market during the turbulence and depending upon their alternative investment strategy they often never makeup their losses.
- If you have a solid portfolio with good investments and are diversified, you probably can weather the storm. Perhaps seek out a professional who can help you evaluate your investments.